Monday, May 11, 2009

Food!

Today we decided to try out some solid food, rice cereal! I told myself we would start solid food once she didn't seem satisfied anymore with just the bottle. We aren't there quite yet, but she is eating sometimes upwards of 35 oz a day, my 4 month old infant info sheet I got at the doctor says that's a sign to start solid food (eating more than 34 oz in 24 hours) - that and when they stop sleeping through the night and want to eat...figured better start solid food BEFORE that happens, catch it before we lose sleep! Anyhow, between 4 and 6 months of age is a good time to start solids, we are right in the middle as Taylor will be 5 months tomorrow. I really just wanted to try it out and see how she would do, I wouldn't call it a successful feeding because I am not sure if she swallowed any! However, she seemed very interested in eating and did well with the spoon (we have been practicing as I know eating with a spoon doesn't come naturally), even sucking on it! Funny. I tell you, this kid can put it away - she has always been a big eater it seems. We will probably try again within the next few days, and see how she does. I plan on attempting to make my own baby food when the time comes (probably in a month or two once she graduates from cereal) because 1 jar at Walmart costs about $.75! That can add up, fast. A whole bag of carrots only costs a couple bucks. I have been reading some about making your own baby food and doesn't seem that hard - just steam it, then blend it, then eat it! Seems simple - ask me again in a few months though.



After I stopped videoing, I tried feeding her for a little bit and she kept spitting it back out so we quit. She is very interested, so that's a step in the right direction. We will gradually build up to it, and just see how she does. I am really in no rush because she is still just fine with the bottle. Our little girl is growing up. I said yesterday to JT while I was holding her, "I want her to stay this size forever."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No she has more cute stages to go and then it is crawling, walking getting into all kinds of things. ;-)

GreatGrannie